How to Find YouTube Keywords With Low Competition

```html You Don't Need More YouTube Video Ideas — You Need Better Problems to Solve

You Don't Need More YouTube Video Ideas — You Need Better Problems to Solve

You don't need another hundred random video ideas. You need to know which problems people are already trying to solve.

Because I've been looking at my own YouTube Studio data, and one thing has become pretty obvious.

Making a video that I think is useful does not automatically mean YouTube has an audience waiting for it.

I've had videos with decent retention that barely received any impressions.

And I've also had videos that got more distribution simply because the topic and packaging gave YouTube a clearer reason to show them.

So for my next few uploads, I'm changing the approach.

Instead of asking:

"What video do I feel like making?"

I'm asking:

"What problem are people already searching for?"

And YouTube actually gives us a tool for investigating that.

It's called the Trends tab.

You can find it inside YouTube Studio under Analytics.

And it can show searches related to your audience, popular videos around a topic, and in some cases content gaps.

But here's the important part.

I'm not going to blindly pick whatever YouTube shows me.

Because a popular search is not automatically a good video opportunity.

I want to find a problem that I can actually solve.

So here's the process I'm going to use.

Step 1: Start With a Real Problem

Don't start with a title.

Start with the question.

For example:

  • "Why are my YouTube videos getting no impressions?"
  • "How do I get more Shorts views?"
  • "How do I improve my YouTube CTR?"
  • "How do I find better video ideas?"

These are problems.

And that's important because people don't search YouTube because they want to watch my video.

They search because they want something.

  • An answer.
  • A solution.
  • A demonstration.
  • Or a result.

My job is to make the video that satisfies that intent.

Step 2: Check What People Are Actually Searching For

Inside YouTube Studio, the Trends tab lets creators explore what audiences are searching for and discover potential content gaps.

You can search for a topic and examine the related information YouTube provides.

And this is where I want to slow down.

I'm not looking for a keyword simply because it has a lot of interest.

I'm looking for a specific question where I can make something genuinely useful.

Because competing for a huge topic like:

"How to grow on YouTube"

is completely different from answering:

"Why are my YouTube videos getting no impressions?"

The second one is a much clearer problem.

And clarity matters.

Step 3: Look at the Videos Already Ranking

This is where I think a lot of creators make a mistake.

They find a search term and immediately start writing.

I want to look at what viewers are already being shown.

What are the existing videos?

What do their titles promise?

What do their thumbnails communicate?

How old are they?

Are they actually answering the question?

And most importantly...

What could I do better?

Because a search result doesn't need to be completely empty for there to be an opportunity.

YouTube describes a content gap as a situation where viewers can't find enough quality results, can't find an exact match, or can't find relevant content.

So I'm not trying to invent a demand that doesn't exist.

I'm looking for existing demand where the available answers aren't good enough.

That's a much more defensible strategy.

Step 4: Find the Weakness

Let's say I search for a problem and I find ten videos.

I don't immediately think:

"There's no chance for me."

Instead, I ask:

What are these videos missing?

Maybe they're outdated.

Maybe they're too complicated.

Maybe they explain the theory but don't actually demonstrate anything.

Maybe the title promises one thing but the video spends five minutes talking about something else.

Maybe the thumbnail is unclear.

Maybe the question has changed because YouTube changed the feature.

Or maybe every video gives basically the same generic advice.

That creates an opportunity.

Not because I discovered some secret algorithm trick.

But because I found a problem I can potentially solve better.

Step 5: Turn the Problem Into a Specific Promise

This is where the title comes in.

And I'm going to be careful here.

I don't want a title that sounds impressive.

I want a title that tells the right viewer exactly what they're getting.

For example:

How to Find YouTube Video Ideas People Are Searching For

is much clearer than:

The Secret YouTube Strategy Nobody Talks About.

The second title might create curiosity.

But it also creates ambiguity.

The viewer doesn't know what they're actually going to learn.

And if the person clicks expecting one thing and gets another...

I've created my own retention problem.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

The title gets the click.

The video has to earn the next minute.

Step 6: Build the Video Around the Searcher's Question

Once I know the problem, I don't want to spend the first two minutes explaining who I am.

The viewer doesn't care.

They have a problem.

So I want to answer it quickly.

Show them what we're going to do.

Then actually do it.

If I'm teaching them how to find video ideas, I should show the process.

If I'm explaining a YouTube Studio feature, I should demonstrate the feature.

If I'm solving a technical problem, I should show the solution.

That creates a much stronger connection between the title, the click and the actual viewing experience.

And that's important for my channel specifically.

Because my recent data shows that retention isn't the only problem.

Some videos have held viewers reasonably well but still received very little distribution.

So making the video longer isn't automatically the solution.

Getting people to watch isn't enough if almost nobody clicks.

And getting clicks isn't enough if the video doesn't satisfy them.

I need the whole chain to work.

Discovery

Click

Watch

Satisfaction

Then another video

And that brings me to Step 7.

Step 7: Don't Make the Video an Island

If somebody finds my video through search, I want to give them somewhere useful to go next.

Let's say the viewer watches a video about finding better YouTube topics.

The next logical question might be:

"Okay, now how do I package that topic?"

That could lead into another video about titles and thumbnails.

Then another video about improving retention.

Then another about reading the resulting Studio data.

Now I have a pathway.

The first video solves one problem.

The next video solves the next problem.

And the viewer doesn't have to leave YouTube to continue learning.

That's much more valuable than making five unrelated videos simply because I found five interesting topics.

I'm not trying to create individual videos anymore.

I'm trying to create a connected library.

A viewer should be able to discover one useful video and naturally find another useful video afterward.

That's the system I want to test.

Search Volume Is Not a Guarantee

But there's one more thing I need to be careful about.

Search volume doesn't guarantee views.

YouTube itself doesn't promise that finding a search topic will make a video successful.

And a content gap doesn't mean:

"Make this video and you'll go viral."

It simply gives me evidence that people may be looking for something that isn't being adequately served.

That's an opportunity.

Not a guarantee.

And that's exactly how I want to treat it.

As a test.

The Experiment

So here's what I'm going to do next.

  1. I'm going to find a specific problem.
  2. I'm going to investigate what people are searching for.
  3. I'm going to study the existing results.
  4. I'm going to identify what those videos are doing well and where they are weak.
  5. Then I'm going to make a better answer.

Not a longer answer.

Not a more complicated answer.

A better answer.

And then I'm going to watch what happens in Studio.

  • Did the video get impressions?
  • Did people click?
  • Did they stay?
  • Where did they leave?
  • Did Search actually bring viewers?
  • Did those viewers watch another video?
  • And did the video attract subscribers?

Because that's the part I care about.

Not whether a keyword tool tells me that a topic is "low competition."

I can't verify that simply by looking at a number.

The real test is what happens after I publish.

And my own channel is actually a good place to run this experiment.

Because I don't have a huge audience.

I'm not starting with hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

If a video works, I need to understand why.

And if it fails, I need to understand why that happened too.

Build for Strangers, Not Just Your Existing Audience

That's why I'm moving away from simply documenting my latest failure or success.

The next few videos need to solve problems for people who don't know me.

Because that's how I eventually build an audience that has a reason to come back.

And maybe that's the biggest lesson I've learned from the last few uploads.

You can't assume strangers care about your channel.

You have to give them a reason to care about the video first.

So I'm going to start with the problem.

Find the demand.

Study the existing answers.

Find the gap.

Build a better solution.

Then connect that solution to the next problem.

That's the system I'm testing now.

And if it works...

the next video won't just be another random upload.

It will be the next step in the same journey.

Because I don't need more ideas.

I need better reasons for people to click.

And then I need to give them a reason to stay.

That's what I'm testing next.

```

Ask Your Questions/Drop Your Comments Here!

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post